May 04, 2007

Radiohead is my soulmate

“We hope that you choke.’

Hooray for being sick and lethargic, I love it when it takes 5 times longer to complete simple task and approximately 30 seconds of prethought before I can compose a coherent answer to a casual question asked in passing in the hallway. I’ve been preparing for my FIRST CONFERENCE EVER which is next weekend in Santa Barbara. It’ll be fun to go to Cali but I’m very nervous about the actual presentation, especially since I’ve never done it before (well, in the professional sense at least).











I made the brilliant decision of have a medium coffee (which used to be the large size) from 2nd cup this morning, you know, because I was having trouble focusing and getting down to my work. Clearly ingesting half a litre of liquid stimulant is how you get yourself to sit quietly at your desk and write a syntax paper. I hate how Microsoft Word underlines the Canadian spellings of things (colour, labour, litre, centre, etc.), and don’t tell me to change it to the Canadian spell checker, because I’ve tried that and it does NOT work. Either it resets everything and still underlies the words in question, or it doesn’t underline anything and it’s a crazy whirlwind of spelling free-for-all.

Anyone have a clever title for my MA thesis? Its on the Ojibwe inverse system. I don’t care if you don’t know what that means, just give me a title! I've asked this before, and you sit there, in front of your computer screen pondering, talking to yourself, "I'm only one person! How could I ever come up with a label worthy of theoretical linguistics?" But I'm here to tell you that you can! Anything is possible! I don’t want to use my presentation title, which is “Argument Organization in Ojibwe: A quasi-morphological approach,” but would rather have something new and catchy. I haven’t done laundry in a really long time. Its such a hassle since our machine broke and I actually have to go to a laundromat. Who wants to do that? But its getting to the point where its not a choice anymore and my sense of annoyance has no weight in the decision any longer. I especially need clean clothes to go to a conference, at least one would think.








I’ve completely lost the sense of days of the week or even time of the year. If this were last year then it would be all about exams being done, summer starting, rejoining the workforce once again. But now it’s a kind of smooth continuum of school year for the full 12 months where classes have ended but there’s still plenty of work to do and things to procrastinate from, and feel guilty about. Its all the fun of school without those pesky night classes, like the perfect situation. Or something.

My apartment is cold, they turned off the heat like a week and a half ago. I don’t think this is helping me being sick. I thought I might have had something interesting to say today, or at least could say something in a funny way, but that sense has quickly disintegrated.

3 comments:

sue said...

i love "crazy whirlwind of spelling free-for-all."

Anonymous said...

my initial title vote is for a pun on quasimodo (you know quasi-morphological/quasimodo). maybe work in something about hearing bells or how bells sound. bet it hasn't been done before.

Dinah said...

You're a crazy whirlwind.

New York was awesome. I had the bestest time with my sister. Have a great time in California!