October 05, 2007

Good-bye prime factors 11 and 2, Hello prime factor 23

That's right, today is the last day of my youth. Mock me if you will, point out the fine lines around my eyes and the graying hair on my head. (Actually, I do have some white hair, but that is not age related, who can tell with the blonde anyway?) I'm not planning on anything special happening this year, but perhaps this is the point people stop caring about your birthday. Actually I'm just not in the mood right now, I shouldn't pawn it off on other people. There is some consolation in my brother turning even older a few days later (he always was older than me....).

And I felt like playing around with the blog template. I know its still blue, but I just don't like other colours as much. My eyes are blue so when I see blue things they are compatible with the iris filter while other things get morphed into pukey colours, so can you blame me for liking blue? I have to respect it, my eyes provide the only discernible colour on my face.

I became very upset with Linguistics this week. I heard some work from various people that just reminds me of all the bad Linguistics out there. People who only take into account one construction in one language and ignore generalizations made for other reasons thereby creating completely useless analyses. Its because of these people that the field is still Arts everywhere and hasn't been able to even break into the soft sciences (I mean, if psychologists can get science degrees its ridiculous that linguists don't). I want to do real Linguistics that actually means something, that actually gets insight on NATURAL language, and if anyone else asks me if I study Esperanto or Tolkien's elven language again then I just might freak out and give a drop kick followed by the sonic elbow.

2 comments:

Jon said...

How about dark elvish--y'know, the Mordor tongue?

I was 23 once, I think. I don't remember being obsessed with the "Enigma", but then again, I don't put much stock in Discordian mythos.

K, that was weird... I just referenced two extremely geeky subcultures that I have nothing to do with...

"Dilbert" TV Show Episode 15
-Nobel Prize winners traveling to a picnic:

PrizeWinner - "Can you imagine is something were to happen to this bus, Helmut?"
Helmut - "The sciences of physics, chemistry, mathematics, and medicine all wiped out in a stroke."
PW - "And economics."
Helmut - "ECONOMICS IS NOT A SCIENCE AND NEVER WILL BE!"

(just substitute 'economics' for 'linguistics')

BTW, Happy Birthday, Sis!

a Mamacita said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

You know... sometimes (wait, scratch that - most of the time) I don't really know what my hubby's talking about... but he was 23 once, I remember... we were living in Alberta at the time... I think... meh.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!