November 12, 2006

Aren’t we the same as we were in Jr High?

I was just wondering about that today. In girl circles, at least, we still tease each other about boys, complain about homework, eat junk food and watch movies together, and have sleep-overs. The biggest change is the amount of parental involvement/supervision we have to deal with. We decide when we want to do all of those things and no one is yelling down the stairs for us to be quiet while we’re giggling on the living room floor.

I mean, we still watch the same movies we did when we were 13: Dirty Dancing, 10 Things I Hate About You, Centre Stage, Save the Last Dance, The Little Mermaid. The quality and selection of flick seems to be fairly constant. There’s always the new movies thrown in there but the classics remain (and yes, I leave Grease out on purpose).

In Jr High we hung out in guy/girl groups, even now I have the occasion to still do that. We went on (organized) trips where the bus ride was an integral part, and now its just replaced by the spontaneous road trip. We didn’t know where our lives were going or where we end up, and I’m fairly sure that most people my age ponder upon this daily. Some of us have more expendable income (some of us less) but we still buy the clothes and CDs we always did, well, not the exact ones, but you know. A good time hanging out eternally involves good food at some well known casual-type restaurant, but we don’t need the rents to drive us anymore (or we shouldn’t at least). Maybe situations change, but aren’t we still the same? Because seriously I’m not that mature.


Just a thought.

Fig. 1.1 'S'more'

2 comments:

Dinah said...

Aw, that almost broke my Grease-lovin' heart. But the smore made up for it. Mmm. Chocolatey.

Tala said...

Y'know, I don't think I've ever had a proper smore. I've roasted marshmellows over a flame, but that's it.