March 14, 2007

Chocolate milk tastes better when you blow bubbles in it

Big news everybody! For the first time in my ENTIRE LIFE I have won something from Roll-up-the-rim!!! I know! I thought it would never happen! But after 22 long, trying years of coffee, French vanilla and hot chocolate my trusted teeth rolling technique has paid off and I won a free coffee! Obviously I had to get an extra large coffee as my prize, which made me very jittery and fast-talking yesterday, but it wasn’t just a cup of burnt Tim Hortons coffee. No friends, it was a cup of victory. Miracles CAN happen.

So after I had this ginormous portion of caffeine liquid I did a semantics presentation, for which my face was bright red even before I started. I actually was really nervous, but I did my best to slow down the speech speed such that I could at least be partly understood. My prof said I did a good job, and since her opinion is the only one that matters I’ll just run with it.

I also had to teach a first year phonology class on Monday (the class I TA) for. I was really nervous, and again, bright red, but the lighting was semi-dim and more forgiving. Other people try to tell me the whole red bit is ok and they turn red too, but I’m consistent in pointing out that I have no melanin in my skin, therefore the red that I turn is much more intense as it is filtered by nothing but my paper think skin – which also happens to be transparent. But the class went alright, I got to actually meet the people who’s homework I’ve been marking and pretty much none of them were what I imagined them to be. I was imagining short little dorky 18 year-olds who were a little shy and apologetic. But now, wrong, I was completely wrong. They were, well, taller than I imagined (I’m not sure why I thought they were all short) but also super cool and not dorky at all. Clearly I am the dorky one and perhaps I’ve been projecting on them how I saw myself in first year. However I’m not short, and wasn’t short then, so really its just my crazy mind making crap up.

This week has been insane. I mean to post a bunch of times but there was literally no window of opportunity to do so. I’m taking a little break before I get back into it again. I really just want to be writing my final papers now but its so difficult because there’s all the regular class reading and homework still to do. I have to present the first draft of my syntax paper on March 27th and I haven’t written anything for it yet – at least I have a topic. Freaking out just a little bit at the moment.

Ok then, on I go. Homework time, I suppose.

1 comment:

Dinah said...

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! THIS is super exciting. I am so happy for you!!

Your picture makes me think of Cool Runnings.