March 17, 2007

Even models can’t not die is a freak gasoline-fight accident

I know that most of you already knew the news from the last post but I just wanted to announce it for those of you I haven’t told yet. I got the official documentation yesterday, and didn’t really want to tell the world before I was absolutely sure.

K-os is good times, I suggest picking up his new album. Its good, and amazingly clean in the lyrics type area. And its paper season! I’ve got 2 papers under way! I’m still stressed out about it but at least I’m gaining a little momentum, once I get going then every waking thought tends to be about a paper. This is why I figure being a Linguist might work out for me, because that’s what you do, you write papers and try to get them published. It’s easier to write good stuff if you really care about what you’re writing about.

My syntax paper is about noun incorporation in Ojibwa and how its not really head movement because it involves phrasal movement (since the moving elements are syntactically complex) rather than traditional noun incorporation which is head movement and found in languages like Mohawk. For my Phonology paper I’m try to recast resyllabification analyses in terms of derived environment effects. I’m pretty much going with the assumption that there is really no internal structure to the syllable and the only sure thing we know about syllables is that they identify themselves as sonority peaks. It’s good times.

Ooh, I still have to work on my budget proposal to go to Santa Barbara, and then probably one for Saskatoon too…..

I bought the Giller prize book by Vincent Lam from Chapters yesterday. I have no idea when I’ll get to read it since I haven’t even finished Catch 22 yet since I haven’t had a chance to read it in weeks, but I’ll get to it eventually. Actually I have a few books that I was supposed to read first, like 1984 (the best year ever, it has a book, a movie and countless social commentary references) but there’s so many academic articles to read and so little time.

I know my blog has been me with my random unconnected thoughts for probably several months now, and I’m sorry, but it’s the best I can do. My brain power is drained in non-blogging operations and it would probably be easier for me to write Linguistics jargon for pages, but no one wants that. So I just throw it in here and there for my own sake and sanity.

Am I tell you the same things over and over again? Probably. But you’ll probably notice that this webpage does not show up on the blogger homepage as “Blogs to check out” or “Fake internet award winning blog” so its not like I’m kidding myself or anything. Keeping it real, perhaps too legit to quit…. Now I’m just delirious and a little bit shocked at myself that I actually just said that. Did I ever tell you about the girl with that tattoo across her shoulders?

This is me procrastinating. I have some Catalan data to get back to, but really I need to go to the library tomorrow and get a good grammar that has sufficient phonological information and paradigms that I can use in my paper. Oh, and if you come up with any snappy title for me I definitely want to hear them. I tidied my room and made my bed and cooked broccoli with brown rice and cheese sauce to further put off my writing today. Its not like I procrastinated all day, but there were plenty of interspersions throughout. I drink a lot of water. I probably drink at least 3 litres a day, and that’s just in the winter. Its more in the summer. Every time I reach for my nalgene it’s almost empty, and I always fill it up full. I like water, I think it tastes good. I have a problem with people who drink bottled water all the time when the tap water is perfectly potable. Excuses like “I don’t like the taste” are complete BS and they’re supporting an unnecessary industry that wastes energy to package and transport a commodity you have readily available already. I think they will find if they start drinking tap water they will very quickly forget their dislike for the taste and save a lot of money, since bottle water is more expensive than gas per volume unit.

Did I tell you I got my hair cut? The last time I did was the day I graduated, ie June. My hair feels much better now I am just a little less schlubb-ish, but still a schlub, which you would know if you’d met me. Me and my hoodies, jeans and running shoes. I hate shoes. I can’t wait till I can wear sandals again. I can’t wait till I can use my bike again, it will be so much faster getting to school and going other random places. I frickin hate the buses here, they don’t go where I want in the fashion I would like them to go there. Is that asking too much? But there’s an awesome subway system in Montreal, so I’ll hang on for the remaining months.

Maybe next I’ll win $1000 from roll up the rim, that would make getting to the conferences less stressful. I wonder if you have to wait a long time, like for them to process your win or something, because I don’t think you can just walk with your cup into Timmy Ho’s and be like “Give me a thousand bucks.” I feel that such a scenario would result in mass cash register emptying and probably end up in some sort of arrest, of you, trying to take money from the doughnut shop.

Alright, I’ll stop. Hmmm, I need a blog title. That’s right, not everything happens in the linear order you receive it in. I hope I come up with something good.

1 comment:

Dinah said...

I love this post. You ARE too legit to quit.