January 23, 2008

Online Shopping

I've been looking for new boots for months. I actually bought a pair a few weeks ago, but I had to take them back b/c the first day I wore them they leaked, all over the freaking place. I've never bought anything you wear online before, but I tried on these Timberland boots in a store, and the only size they had was one too big. So I took a chance, and ordered a size smaller. These are my new winter boots:I have the brown ones. They're way nicer than the ones I got before, better construction.

Tomorrow I get to pick up my Amazon order, consisting of:

And:

As long as they shipped the right thing, my January online shopping will be a success.

Speaking of Chomsky, I had a presentation in Semantics today. It was Chomsky's 1957 "Syntactic Structures". I hate presentations. They make me want to quit Linguistics and live in an isolated cabin far away from people who can see me... with their eyes. I felt really awkward, because I was basically teaching the class. There were a lot of pauses and me saying, "Um, so do I make any sense?" I said some things that the prof liked, but when he said them back to me, I think he was actually reading into my presentation what he wanted me to say. Ho hum.

Syntax reading to do.

3 comments:

Dinah said...

Online shopping is so much fun. I hope those boots work out. I had to do, well, I had to talk about a reading in class today. It was "informal" but I think I was rambly and talking way too much surface stuff, I don't know, there was a lot of discussion afterwards so at least that was good.

Jon said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of online shopping. It can be a strange and magical place, but I'll be here to guide you should you get lost (I just realized I've been shopping online for 8 years, now).

First, click here and answer the questions. Then, go here, here, and here. Trust me, experience/practice makes all the difference.

sue said...

beth! how are you?? i like online shopping, there are books that i want. now that i live in the US there are way more online possibilities.. huh not the best thing about living here but whatever. i won't delete what i wrote, i'll just publish it.