December 08, 2006

Canoe Reeves

My paper is now at 22 pages and 6,000 words. To finish this draft all I have to do is write the introduction and conclusion, which I was told to write last in high school. But I usually never do, I always wrote the intro first, it helped me organize the paper in my head. And I always use 1.5 spacing too, but this time I left the margins at 1 inch instead of my usual 1.5 cm. Apparently with double spacing its already 30 pages, but we won’t let on that we know to my prof, no no no.

Have you had enough of hearing about my paper? Well, lucky for you I’m almost done. But it’s not actually due until January 4th, 2007, so there’s the possibility of research paper discussion until then. As I well confessed to my office mate that I’m obsessed with my paper, to which she replied “Yeah y’are” (or something to that effect). I love writing linguistics research papers… I guess that’s why I’m doing what I’m doing.

The semester is closing fast, I don’t feel like I’ve been here that long. I’m one third done my masters. Cool beans. I’m getting more used to Ottawa, which is still no Toronto, but I know more people better than when I first got here (obviously). I even went out for ‘drinks’ with some profs and other students. None of the students had anything alcoholic to drink because we have a syntax take home exam due today, but all the profs had beer. I know Dinah has experience drinking with her professors, but this is a new experience for me. It’s interesting to get to know them as social people instead of just as teachers. And it’s pretty awesome because the department here is very keen on hiring young, hip people so the three profs that came out were in the 28-32 year old range. Pretty fun.

Have you seen Proof? Good movie, math movie, therefore good. Redeems Gwyneth Paltrow from the worst movie ever – Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow – and I mean worst EVER. I expect more of Gwyneth now that’s she’s married to Chris Martin and has borne two of his children.

Mmmmmm, I have a roommate date with both my roommates tomorrow to go to Ahora and to eat awesome, cheap, authentic Mexican food. Chris has never been there so we’re making sure he get’s the full experience. Good times. Hurrah.

2 comments:

Dinah said...

Nachos!

I'm so happy that you're, like, naming something in Ottawa, and I know what it is.

Plus, even though usually I have not the faintest what you're talking about, I love your enthusiasm and your passion.

I also love nachos.

sue said...

DEFINITELY the worst movie ever, SCatWoT. horrible. we have discussed this before. but it bears repeating.

proof was good, i liked it.

welcome to NS! i hope you have a good christmas..