February 07, 2007

On FIRE!

Uuuuh! I am totally on fire this week. Talking in class and getting questions right and everything. It hasn’t been a week where I’ve gotten a lot of evaluation (i.e. homework back) but I’ll just pretend/hope that that has all gone well.

Monday: Went to Carleton for a phonology talk, totally understood like everything. I was stuttering in French class (which is weird because I don’t stutter), but I’ll let that go. French tonight should be better because its half lab on Wednesdays which I find less stressful. The bright fluorescent lights in our normal classroom bother me and I can sometime barely open my eyes. I also got all my marking done for the week within the span of 2 hours (which is pretty good considering I get about 65 homeworks at a time).

Tuesday: Did a presentation in Syntax. Not a formal one, but the prof has been asking people to present the topics for classes and yesterday was my turn. Get this, I didn't even turn red! Not even a little! I did, however, talk really fast and he had to stop me b/c I left no natural discourse space for his interjections. I made a really nice handout, though, with pretty little Corel draw trees. Also on Tuesday I decided to periodically speak up in Semantics class. I usually follow what’s going on but don’t always like to talk in class, I’d rather let someone else do it. But no one was saying much yesterday and the prof was getting worried about it, so I thought I’d end some of the painful silences by responding to her questions.

Wednesday: Ok, so the day isn’t over, but Phonology class was pretty much me tearing it up. I had answers and insight and I think I even did my assignment correctly. I feel like people have been asking me for help a lot lately, which means I must have something under control and can actually reflect back out some things that I know. And I’m apparently very approachable (since randos on the street ask me for directions/the time all the time) so I guess it works out.

Ok, so on fire right now also means hyper active and I’m not getting anything done. I was also planning on going to a talk at 4 (to which several grad students and ALL linguistics profs go to) so I might want to do some jumping jacks so that I’m not all over the place for the duration of the talk. You should see my type right now, I could be a professional secretary at this speed, and if typing was the only skill you needed to have for that job.

Right-o… don’t you think it would be more fun to be British or Australian and have a funky accent? Do you think it sounds funky to the people who have it? Because let me tell you, the Canadian accent is not super sexy, it does not go both ways. I mean we don’t sound as bad as the drawling southerners with their indecipherable speech but it’s not like hot or anything.

My lips are dry. For some reason my medicated lip balm is not fixing that. When I was flying over Christmas break they made me put it in a little ziplock bag to go through security. This is screening technology at its best, the blocking powers of the ziplock plastic is internationally known for its terrorism stopping super powers.

2 comments:

Dinah said...

I cracked wise with the cheat...uuuuh! but in defense he cracked wise on me first....

FIAHHHH!

Go you!

BC Round 2 said...

Can i just say you're the biggest geek on the face of the earth!!!!
Go Beth!