February 27, 2007

“Syntax Reigns Supreme”

That’s something my prof said, but who could argue with it? However he did also mention that such a powerful syntax puts pressure on the pragmatics, which boils down to how smart you are and how much information you have about the world. So maybe we should make syntax reign supreme in some other context, I know you could care less.

Super excited about getting to Toronto on Friday, I don’t think I have too much due next week so if I can get some reading done on the train it should be ok. If you’re reading this and you’re my friend from Toronto, I want to see YOU! That’s right, the internet knows about you, where you live, you favourite pudding flavour.

I have another presentation tomorrow, but I actually feel fine about it since there’s only 6 people in the class and I should be able to sit and rattle through my already finished handout. Aussi, demain j’ai un an examen de mi-semestre en français. I think it will be ok.

My friend brought me back candy from Paris (where she went for reading week) and I got these awesome gummies which are shaped like Smurfs, but in French they’re called “Les Schtroumpfs”. No lie. I can barely say it, she doesn’t understand why I have problems with the word.

I've got 3 letters for the one on the left.

3 comments:

sue said...

3 letters eh. ;)

i want to see YOU bethany! let's coordinate over IM.

les schtroumphes is normal to me, i grew up in ottawa where smurfs were on tv in french all the time.

Jon said...

Colorless [sic] green ideas sleep furiously.

Dinah said...

that picture of the smurfs made me laugh. I had a smurfette doll when i was younger.