April 07, 2007

It's like a mind puzzle, and AWESOME mind puzzle

Things I bought today:

k-os -- Joyful Rebellion








the Tragically Hip -- World Container








Metric -- Old World Underground, Where Are You Now?







Donnie Darko










This was my excellent Easter treat myself to keep me motivated such that I can continue writing my 3 intense papers (one is my thesis) and studying for my exam on Friday the 13th. My recent purchases nicely complement the care package full of candy and toys I got from my family -- Easter has the best candy by far. I got k-os b/c I love Atlantis, and wanted more k-os, since I think I'm in on him. I have Metric Live it Out and though I might expand that tiny part of my that dares to be indie. I got the Hip b/c I've been thinking for a long time that I should get into them, and their new single "The lonely end of the rink" is awesome, so I got that album. Normally I'd get an older, more trusted album, but I guess I've just been doing crazy things these days.

Oh, and Donnie Darko way $9.99, so I had nothing to lose. I wanted to buy V for Vendetta (since I'm currently reading the comic the movie is based off of, thanks to my big brother and Amazon.ca) but the cheapest version was the full screen, so I'm putting it off for now.

I wanted to get some new Oasis, seeing as I only have What's the Story Morning Glory, but I don't know what album I should venture into next. If you have a suggestion, I'd love to hear it (this is partially a test to see if Ben has been keeping up with my blog, since he should have something to say here). I was also looking for some more Sufjan Stevens since I really can't get enough, but neither HMV nor Music World in the mall had the Michigan concept album, or anything else I was ready to invest in there.

Does anyone know South? Kristina sent me a few songs by them, and I really like them, so let me know if you have any suplemental information. Also, Dinah: If I were to get another Shins album, which should I go for next? If anyone has recommendations about artists with really wicked acoustic guitar I would be very interested.

I was really supposed to be shopping for dress pants to wear when I present at the conferences in May, but I'd much rather go media shopping than clothes shopping. I was successful in staying away from Chapters, however, since I have a backup of books to read already and don't need to go there right now.
Anyone familiar with Freaks and Geeks? My roommate bought the DVD set, its entertaining, with a lot of recognizeable actors, before they were recognizeable.
"Everyone knows that freak guys only date freak girls, and freak girls go all the way." Oh the 1980's, I was a small child, it wasn't actually that cuturally exciting for me at the time.

I actually have a full first draft of my phonology paper now. My supervisor was putting the pressure on when we met on Thursday, which I think has helped me get my act in gear (does that make sense? am I mixing the wrong kind of colloquialisms?), but also makes me stressed out. Its snowing again. I was looking forward to wearing my sandals and getting out on my bike but that will have to wait. It also means I can put off getting a new bike seat for a while, the current one is not super awesome.

Why, I thought I started out in this point with a coherent theme and everything, but it has disintigrated (sp?) into my usual rambling. Its a sign.

2 comments:

Tala said...

I have Sufjan Stevens' Michigan album, his Christmas box-set, and I have Seven Swans. I think Illinois is my favorite and then Michigan. The Christmas set is just exciting cause it's got so much in it, for a decent price.

I like the new Shins album, but I'm not a hardcore fan, so don't listen to me.

You could check out Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton if you like Metric. It's a bit more indie, but it's basically just Emily Haines on a piano.

Dinah said...

Dude, I am so there with you on the media/clothes shopping. Except even though right now, I'm so dreading my school stuff that even that seems appealing.

I don't have the new Shins album, but I like what I've heard. Chutes Too Narrow is good, though.

I can't even think of the last time I've been to Indigo - i just have too much stuff to read right now. But I will have to go before I go home, I think.