October 16, 2006

Is it a privative or binary feature?

So now I have to start thinking about what all my presentations and papers are going to be for the semester. I feel like perhaps I've been slacking off up till now, but I'm all caught up on my readings and I haven't actually forgotten to do anything, I guess this is just how it feels. I really shouldn't get freaked out with the papers and stuff. I think my mind is confused, being so used to have a billion things due for 5 classes, this only 3 classes thing hasn't fully registered yet.

I read another article discussing the PCC (person-case constraint) and a large chunk was talking about why dude used [Author] and [Participant] to define person features rather than including [Hearer]. So he goes on the analyze why [Hearer] doesn't work using the exact system he himself developed to account for the phenomena using [Author] and [Participant]. I mean, what is he thinking? You have to see if AN analysis will work (i.e. doing it from the beginning) with the different features to correctly argue against them. You can't plug them into something that was clearly developed for not it. Whatever, it helps me practice my critical review skills.

I've starting thinking about thesis topics, but its definitely going to take a while before I nail down exactly what I want to research. I'm mostly sure that I'm going to work on Algonquian languages (since I've become very familiar with them anyways) but I now have to pick which syntactic phenomena or class of phenomena I'm going to do. Its hard, because you have to choose something that will give you enough material for a 50 page paper (which I haven't found out if its double spaced or not yet, so potentially 100 pages).

I'm getting a little nervous about the papers I have to start working on, but I really shouldn't. I usually like my papers and am proud of them once they're finished. Its a ride getting to that point but its always worth it. And I need some grad papers so I have more current things to talk about and everything isn't, "What I did in undergrad," which sounds less than impressive.

If you know anyone that speaks an Algonquian language, I'm ready to become their best friend. I make really good orange cookies and crepes if that's enticing enough.

3 comments:

Tala said...

Yo, I'm pretty sure it's double-spaced!

Don't worry, it sounds like you've got it all under control

(Though I didn't understand anything)

Anonymous said...

The Innu language in Labrador is like Algonquin.
Don't worry about it almost-Aunt Bethany.

Dinah said...

Yeah, I didn't understand anything either, but I miss hearing you talk about it.