January 12, 2007

And me, one cool guy

We’ve hit the ground running and I have never seen so many pages of mandatory reading in my life. Two of my classes are hardcore on the article reading and digestion, one of them ridiculously so. It’s too bad I have 4 classes this semester (3 is normal for the grad program) but I wanted to take French, I want to get that fluency in so what else can I do?

Anyone every heard of CLA? Two professors (and one office mate) has suggested that I submit my paper to it, which terrifies me, absolutely. Not only does it mean my amateur research paper will be out there for the world to see (and thus be subject to fair criticism and ridicule) but if I actually do have to present at a conference I think I will die. I already turn bright red and struggle to ward off full body convulsions in my class presentations, imagine having to do it in front of actual professional linguist people. And then they get to ask questions, which I do not feel prepared to answer at all. I don’t know enough yet, I need more time!

Maybe they’ll just reject my paper and it will be all good. Yeah, that works for me.

In other news, I sharpied the cat. I tried to write ‘CAT’ on his back but it’s hard to make it legible on the shifting fur. My roommate who owns the cat is away for the weekend so me and my other roommate are “looking after” him. We thought of buying purple dye and throwing him into a vat of it. You know how cats like to be wet, and how their owners love the tabby-purple visual combo.

I don’t care if you think it’s cruel, he’s a jerk-cat. He’s not very nice. He never wants to cuddle when you do, only when he wants to. And he bats my roommate in the face while he’s sleeping. There’s lots more he does but I’m not going to list it all here.

Duff Gardens… Hurrah!

3 comments:

Dinah said...

I'm laughing so hard at the sharpied cat! Oh, cat.

Also: do it!

Anonymous said...

Wow Beth, Your Awesome! The Cat thing, I am so proud of you! you could also try stapling a note to it that says cat...

Anonymous said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! be nice to the cat
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps v cool re the conference!