January 04, 2007

Like a cat tied to a stick

I’ve lived in several areas around Canada (Owen Sound, Langley, Muskoka, Toronto, Ottawa) and I have a few favourite places. I will tell you about them now…. go!

When I go home to Owen Sound its usually a refresher, getting away from the city, back to my roots in the boonies, letting my inner hick out for a breather. I like to go to Inglis Falls, which isn’t too far from my house, and listen to the water falling. I usually go at night when nobody is there – mostly because it’s illegal to enter a conservation area after dusk – but I haven’t been caught yet, so good on me. I especially like it in the snow, it just seems soft and ice palace-y. I was there over the holiday’s with some friends and we were climbing over the rocks we weren’t supposed to be climbing on. Good times.

I don’t know if I particularly have a favourite place in Muskoka, it’s all kinda outdoorsy and fresh and what not. I lived there for the summer I worked at camp, but I’m gonna go ahead and say that I love the interior of Algonquin. Canoe trips are what it’s all about.

Toronto, as the big metropolitan area that it is, got to me sometimes because you could always hear the cars and see the lights. My favourite place there was on campus. I liked to stand in the middle of King’s College Circle at night because the university buildings surrounding the field blocked out a lot of the extra noise and it was dark. You can see the CN tower and cool buildings from there, and it wasn’t too far form where I lived.

Today I think I found my favourite place in Ottawa. I climbed up to the Samuel Champlain monument which is behind la Musée des Beaux Arts on this hill where you can see Parliament Hill, Hull and the Civ Musem and the river. I love the Ottawa River, it’s so wide and cool. You can see all these different currents working themselves out together and eddying around the locks and under the bridge.

So, that’s it. All the places that feed my loner-dom, where I go by myself. I’m satisfied with that.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite views in Ottawa is actually across the river in Gatineau looking back at Ottawa from outside of the Museum of Civilization. It's just a really cool view.

Anonymous said...

Hey Beth, Check out my fantastic blog. It's not sucky like some others...

http://thetruthaboutthegreatwhitenorth.blogspot.com/

Dinah said...

I love the middle of Kings COllege Circle at night. You can see stars! Of course, that doesn't change the fact that you're there at night, and it's probably winter, so it's cold. But it's a nice little gift anyway.

Anonymous said...

Beth, Your so cool. How could I ever doubt you!

Canoe trips, Wo Wo. Thanks for planning ours this year. It was a blast.

Anonymous said...

I tied a cat to stick once, then I light it on fire

Anonymous said...

I tied a cat to stick once, then I light it on fire

Anonymous said...

i REALLy love the ottawa river with all the currents that move against each other and the surface of the water looks not like waves but like something else. i used to go up behind parliament to this statue of queen victoria (maybe) and look west out over the river -- it's good at sunset.