January 23, 2007

"I reckon I could well be in"

Shout out recipient, you know who you are.

I’m a little out of it for the moment. I’m in a very passive tired stage, I’m not really upset or frustrated about being tired and swamped. I’m just tired and keep going, keep doing it. I was hoping I could sleep in tomorrow, which now looks like a possibility since my 3 hours semantics class just got cancelled for this afternoon and I now have time to do my phonology assignment for tomorrow.

I want to travel. I want to go back to India and do Nepal, Thailand, Bangladesh, make my way over to Vietnam, Hong Kong and the Philippines. I know it’s a massive stretch across the face of the earth but I could do it. I would just need money and lots of time, that’s all. Those are totally things I have in gorging quantities.

One more PhD application to go. That will be good, when they’re all finished. It should be my last grad app ever, unless I do a post doc, and the way things seem to be going that’s probably likely. So not last one ever, last one for 4 years. That’s good enough.

My friend treated me to lunch at the vegetarian restaurant across the street, it’s pretty awesome. I had lentil soup and chickpea curry. Brown rice is so much better than white rice… what is up with the sudden popularity of the saying, “Like white on rice”?

I marked 62 first year phonology homeworks last night. Hurrah. Some of them did really well, others clearly did not read the questions. And it was like, seriously, the easiest homework in the history of life. However their marks were inputed into excel using number versions of check and check plus (and a few check minuses). I’m not sure if I’ll like marking. I had so many nasty comments I had to hold back on. There were 3 that weren’t stapled, and a bunch of handwritten ones that were not exactly neat and tidy. One chick attached her rough copy to her computer print out. I don’t frickin care about your rough copy, keep that to yourself. Another genius thought that the bottom of the page was the perfect place for their name and student number. All little, inconsequential things, but I guess they’ll slowly learn as they continue in their university careers.

Now I’m just ranting. Back to phonology.

3 comments:

Dinah said...

Hee. Check plus.

Also: is your title from The Streets? I'm trying to place it.

Dinah said...

Did I ever tell you that a certain person took my Streets CD from me and never gave it back?

Yeah. So I don't even have that song anymore.

Dinah said...

did you see stephen colbert trash-talking oshawa?

AWESOME.